How to Transfer Car and Bike Registration from one State to Another (or City)

Aditya Pratap is a lawyer practising in the Bombay High Court. He can be reached at

Introduction on How to Transfer Car and Bike Registration from one state to another

Registering your car with the government authority is mandated by the law in India. The most important part of the procedure is obtaining the No Objection Certificate from the RTO where the vehicle is registered and re-register the vehicle in the state you are moving in to. The vehicle registration is required when:

  • The transfer is from one state to the other.
  • If your transfer is permanent.
  • If your transfer is for more than one year.

Procedure For Transfer Of Vehicle Registration From One State To Another

For the transfer of vehicle registration from one state to another, you have to start with getting the vehicle de-registered from the original state of registration. For this, you’ll have to go through the following procedure – 

  • Apply for the NOC by submitting RTO Form 28 to the RTO of the original state.
  • If you plan on selling your car in the new state already, you would need the RTO Form 29 from the original RTO
  • Submit the NOC to the new RTO
  • Pay the road tax applicable in the new state
  • Get a new vehicle registration number from the new RTO

RTO Rules For Vehicle Transfer From One State To Another

The steps involved in moving a two-wheeler between states is as described below:

  • Procure an NOC if the vehicle was bought through a two-wheeler loan
  • Transportation of the vehicle through a carrier or self
  • Re-registration of the two-wheeler if the move is permanent
  • Cancellation of NOC in case the move to a different state does not happen

Obtaining an NOC From The RTO Where Your Vehicle Is Registered

For obtaining an NOC from the RTO where the vehicle is registered, one need to submit the following documents to the RTO duly-

  • Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle
  • Car Insurance or Bike Insurance paper
  • Pollution Under Control certificate or Emission Test Certificate
  • Genuine chassis imprint of the vehicle
  • 3-4 photocopies of Form 28
  • Application requesting NOC for interstate transfer.

Re-Registration Of The Vehicle

Once, you are done relocating your bike or car, you can approach the RTO in the city you have moved to for re-registration of the vehicle. The procedure demands submission of an application in RTO office and an application along with the documents mentioned below:

  • Form 29 and 30 for re-registration of the vehicle
  • Original Registration Certificate (RC)
  • Copy of the insurance certificate of the vehicle
  • Copy of the NOC obtained from the RTO office where your vehicle was registered earlier.
  • Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate/Emission Test Certificate
  • Chassis Imprint of the vehicle.
  • Local address proof and id proof of the applicant.
  • Applicable charges such as road tax, octroi, and more.

Refund Of Road Tax of the Vehicle

Just like income tax returns, you may also apply for tax refunds. In such a case, you are entitled to receive the refunds. Below are the documents to be submitted to apply for the refund from the RTO where your vehicle was previously registered:

  • Application requesting a refund of road tax.
  • RTO Form No.16 (Duly filled and self-attested).
  • The copy of RC with new registration number.
  • The copy of RC with previous registration number.
  • Insurance policy document with the new vehicle registration number.
  • Proof of address and photo ID.

About the Author – Aditya Pratap

Aditya Pratap is a lawyer practising in Mumbai. He argues cases in the Bombay High Court, Sessions and Magistrate Courts, along with appearances before RERA, NCLT and the Family Court. For further information one may visit his website or view his YouTube Channel to see his interviews. Questions can be emailed to him at

Cases argued by Aditya Pratap can be viewed here.

Spread the word